PDA

View Full Version : 2011 February 18th WCG Stats

Troy
02-19-2011, 09:05 AM
http://www.bitbenderforums.com/users/troy/Stats/BBTMilestoneFebuary182011.gif

Welcome back, Pinky! :)
DA, I think that new build is coming on.:eek:
Even Rick picked up the pace.:thumbsup:
Good job, all. We keep this up maybe I can get rid of this stupid banner.

Dark Angel
02-19-2011, 04:05 PM
They are a beautiful little set and forget cruncher, Troy :thumbsup: If anyone wants to build themselves one I have all the manuals, data sheets and latest BIOS files.

Thanks Troy and nice crunchin' team! :woot:

Tuffies Son
02-19-2011, 04:23 PM
YAY Pinky's back! :D

DA, I'd love to set something like that up. As soon as I've got ten cents that doesn't rightly belong to somebody else I'm going to try to set aside a little here and there so I can try it. It sounds like a really good deal (esp. power useage per result-wise) which is definitely what I need. If it's a good Summer mebbe I can make it happen. :)

Dark Angel
02-19-2011, 04:48 PM
Currently the best power per watt is actually the i2600K Sandy Bridge hardware, BUT it'll cost you a lot more than $100 to get one up and running ... IF you can find a motherboard. These Sossaman rigs are kinda fun to build, get you into the Dual Socket Club and running Xeon server hardware as headless crunchers does have some geek cred. :thumbsup:

dolittlejerry
02-19-2011, 09:16 PM
Thanks Troy.

rwillis
02-19-2011, 09:40 PM
Thanks Troy - and yeah the new I7 do put out a few more work units...... than the dulie it replaced.

Tuffies Son
02-19-2011, 09:53 PM
Hey Rick! Just wondering what you thought of DA's cool set-up for a really good price? Also wondering if the rigs you mention could compete with DA dollar for dollar for folks who can't afford to buy "anything" they want? I'm serious here, as, if I invest in a "crunching farm" albeit a small one, I want to go for the most bang for the buck, and ride it out until it's impractical again. That's all the contribution I can afford to make, though I certainly want to do that. Which wave should I catch...in your opinion? :)

Troy
02-19-2011, 10:03 PM
The gulftowns are only 600.00 now. :hehe:

Dark Angel
02-19-2011, 10:20 PM
An i2600K (4 core/8 threads) goes for a bit more than half that here, but with no motherboards available just now it's almost a mute point.
Once the boards hit the market again, however, they will be the best performing chip for WCG both for the price and for the power they use. Think 35,000 WCG points per day with some guys getting up to 50,000 with them running around 4.6GHz. Of course that requires a lot better than standard OEM cooling solutions and pulls a lot more than the stock 95W (chip alone, not counting the board, drives etc)
It would cost me about $800 to get one up and running (or would have when boards were on the shelves) with our crappy hardware prices. If I fell into a barrel of money right now I'd build three i2600 based desktops right now and then a 8 socket server later in the year when the ten core Ivy Bridge Xeons hit.

Might need a bit more than a barrel of money for those though.

Tuffies Son
02-19-2011, 10:34 PM
Sounds like your original set up gets great bang for low bucks, and that's the ticket now...saving up for a rig like yours. :thumbsup:

rwillis
02-20-2011, 09:31 AM
This is my new one - it's a mobile workstation...........
HP 8540W I7 running at 2.80 ghz, 8gb ram, Nivdia Quardo card and an 250gb soildstate SATA driv. Nice machne, but bang for buck DA wins hands down, also this is a work supplied machine - well half of it is I split the cost