Thread: Where were you? and what were you doing? ON 09/11/2001?4339 days old

Disturbance in the Matrix Zemuss's Avatar
    Threads

Awards Showcase

Local Date
    07-30-2014
    Local Time
    06:05 AM

question Where were you? and what were you doing? ON 09/11/2001?

Subject speaks for itself.

"Z"

Oppai o mesete kudasai? JohnnyBra's Avatar
    Threads

Awards Showcase

Local Date
    07-30-2014
    Local Time
    07:05 AM
    I was in class @ college. We had a 9:00 class, so as class began we were hearing rumors on the raido and such. Everyone tried checking www.msnbc.com or www.cnn.com but the whole internet seemed congested. We finally got 1 page up with some info and everyone was shocked into silence. The teacher dismissed class, so everyone gathered at the Student Center across campus, where there are 3 Big Screen TV's usually playing MTV or other entertainment. They were all on different news stations now, and well over 1000 people were jammed into the 2 story room, trying to figure out what was happening. People were hugging eachother, some were crying. I just stood there with my wife (who also got released from class) and watched. There were gasps of disbelief and horror when we watched the first tower fall. Everyone was on cell phones calling home to inform parents and check on loved ones.

I called my parents, but not because they would have a chance of being in new york. Just to hear reassuring words at a time like this. My wife and I went home and sat in our living room for the rest of the morning watching the different news reports, untill we had to go to work.

After work, we stayed up until 4 a.m. watching the news. I walked around in a state of shock for several days. It's a memory that I'll never forget, and will on day tell my children about.
    JohnnyBra
    There are 10 types of ppl in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    Live each day like it's your last.. Eventually, you'll be right.

Threads

Awards Showcase

Real Name
    Dave
    Local Date
    07-30-2014
    Local Time
    I too was in class. Someone else was looking at the CNN website and I heard them talking about what had just happened. I took a look at it myself and of course I didnt believe it. I figured the webpage had been hacked and was a hoax.
    In the next class everyone had heard and was either talking about it or just sitting there in a state of shock. It wasnt until I got home and saw the news that it really hit me and I fully realized what had happened.

PooliiteeCally Derisive Bastage BitBender's Avatar
    Threads

Awards Showcase

Real Name
    Philip
    Local Date
    07-30-2014
    Local Time
    I was preparing to leave for work in downtown dallas, yet another day when the traffic was backed up 8 miles, meaning that I would delay my departure until after 08:30am Dallas time.

As I prepared my commute cup of coffee, I saw what appeared to be some ruckus goin on in Manhattan, looked to me like a building fire, and a bad one, in tower# 1. I presumed a gas explosion, as there was a sizable chunk gone, and black smoke pouring from within.

I picked up my remote, hit the mute key to hear what was being said, and about that time, the second jet careened into the second tower, before my very eyes. I was completely, and utterly speechless, and unable to move for several seconds.

The media coverage was saying this had to be a terrorist attack, and I knew that my world had changed forever, that to be safe ever again would exact a price like which had not been paid since the great war my father fought in. And this was just a small down payment.

As I drove to work, you could already tell the effects on the American public. People had set aside their aggressive driving, and seemed to be in shock. People at the office were all "Have you heard, have you seen?"..Some even brought in portable TV's to keep track of the day.

All through the day we waited for news, hoped for survivors, stood in ahgast as the towers collapsed, and wondered if we were safe here in Downtown Dallas (at my work). About 11:00am
    they announced that we should leave the downtown area for our own safety, but many of us refused, as the faithful at "zero" were at their jobs, so should we be also...

Althou a year has passed, it's like yesterday. It's very much like VaMohawk, when he tells me that, the landing on Normandy beach to him was like yesterday.

Dewy, Cheatum, And Howe martzweb's Avatar
    Threads
    Local Date
    07-30-2014
    Local Time
    11:05 AM
    I was driving home from work, on the motorway (freeway), about to listen to the Chris Moyles show on BBC Radio 1 when the news came. I looked to see peoples expressions in the cars around me, and i knew that everyone had heard exactly the same thing that i had.

Within a few minutes i went from stunned silence to a form of deep dread. I knew that i had freinds in NY and the only thing i could do was get immediately onto the net to see if i could find out what had happened, and to see if i could touch base with everybody.

As the events of the day unfolded, all i could feel was a deep sorrow at the loss of life, and a turbulent rage at those responsible for an atrocity so profound that it overshadowed even the worst of my country's violent history.

Even now, i still feel deep misery for those who were lost.

Victims of war? .... to me no....... victims of a coward who to this day hides behind weak minded sheep.

I dont beleive in god, but if it would help find bin laden and bring him to justice, i'll kneel down and pray.........

m

Threads

Awards Showcase

Local Date
    07-30-2014
    Local Time
    I was on the bus, on my way to work that morning. There was no talk of the attack on the bus, as people hadn't become aware yet. I live upstate, about 175 miles from NYC. I didn't hear about it until a few minutes after nine, upon arriving at work. We don't have a television at work, so all I could do was try in vain to connect to cnn.com and other news sites that were unreachable for quite a while. Luckily, being a radio station, we have the AP wire service, so we were able to get information that way. About halfway through my on-air shift we abandoned our music format, and broadcast the the AP radio network for the rest of the day.

I don't have television at home either, so my only exposure to the events of 9/11 has been online, and print media.

Although it has been a year, it really does seem like yesterday.

Angel In The Sky
    Threads

Awards Showcase

Local Date
    07-30-2014
    Local Time
    05:05 AM
    After I got home from working the graveyard shift, I went straight to bed so I didn't hear about what had happened until late afternoon. First I heard about it were the headlines on Yahoo.

Yeah, GK it's hard to believe it's been a year. Just thinking about that day can still easily bring tears to my eyes.

Threads
    Local Date
    07-30-2014
    Local Time
    all i can manage to get out, right now at this minute, is to say i had just come up from the subway a few blocks away just after the 2nd plane hit, to find the street filled w/people standing still in their tracks, faces turned toward the WTC and seeing black billowing smoke filling what had been a beautiful blue, clear crisp sky when i left for work that morning. at the time, we didn't know it was the 2nd plane to hit. i ran to my office building along w/everyone else. we saw, and felt, the 2nd tower collapse from through our office windows, and from then on, nothing. our windows were covered in what looked like brown dirt and ash. no knowledge of what was going on, on the outside, from that point.

i have a million feelings going on in me right now, today, September 11, 2002, and can't begin to put into words the spectrum of feelings that my mind and body went thru one year ago, from when i stepped out of that subway station on that beautiful day, the hours spent waiting to evacuate the bldg., the horror sinking in, the fear, the anxiety, and yes, a strange, calm, acceptance that my life was going to end right there, that day, somewhere between floors of a bldg., without being able to hear the sound of a loved one's voice, to let them know what was happening, making peace w/my Maker, ready to go to Him; the scene all our eyes lit upon when we finally emerged onto the ash-covered streets, seeing a shoe here, a sneaker there, left lying in the streets from peeps who in their natural panic, left the safety of their bldgs. too early to flee .. where?; trodding for hours thru the island of Manhattan, closed off and sealed, holding soaked paper towels to our faces trying to breathe the unbearable air; not knowing when they would reopen the "City" but oh so grateful to be alive. alive, yet wandering around in streets so eerily filled w/deafening silence that only the sounds of sirens broke it. too much right now. i'm sorry. it began to hit me yesterday. i'm at work now, it's very quiet in the streets here but police are everywhere. i didn't think i had written this much. well, that is where i was and what i was doing. i'm afraid that to lay out my feelings in their fullness here would take something i don't have in me right now. yes, as u all say, like yesterday. a solemn day. a day that will never be forgotten. ever.
    "Briquette" ~ March 1992 - March 2008 << Forever In Our Hearts >>

"Lily" ~ April 1995 - May 2009 << Forever In Our Hearts >>

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.
    They must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller.

RTFM!

BBF's "Tuffie" Angel in the SKies Tuffie's Avatar
    Threads

Awards Showcase

Local Date
    07-30-2014
    Local Time
    I was sitting at our kitchen table,watching the Today Show on TV,and of course they showed the entire disaster as it took place.I went from one news channel to another,all of course were showing the tragedy.I spent the entire day and evening, watching the horror that was on the screen.I immediately thought of all the lives being lost,and the loved one's left behind.

It's hard to express what I felt,when our Country is being attacked,it's like I was being attacked myself.It was a day I would like to forget,but I never will.I wouldn't feel right even if I could forget,as we say all the time "We will always remember" or "We will never forget". "God Bless America"
    Tuffie

Threads

Awards Showcase

Local Date
    07-30-2014
    Local Time
    04:05 AM
    I turned on the tv just as the second plane was coming in to strike. It took awhile to believe what i was seeing. Horror, Sadness, Disbelief.

Threads

Awards Showcase

Local Date
    07-30-2014
    Local Time
    Darcs...

Threads
    Local Date
    07-30-2014
    Local Time
    Working on a pc at home (not hooked up), didn't have the tv or radio on so I had no idea, and we keep the phone in stealth mode because of too many nuisance calls. Then my wife came home and told me to turn on the tv, she said, "the Twin Towers were destroyed, we've been attacked".

I was horrified, in disbelief, what transpired on tv seemed surreal, and impossible, my wife and I just sat watching speechless for some time, it just couldn't be true. Disbelief, great sorrow, dread and anger, struggled within me all at the same moment.
    Then it hit me that my mother and most of our family live in SI and many work in the city. At this point, anger and worry were mostly what I remember feeling. After 2 days of calling on the phone I finally got thru to my mom. Eventually, our family learned that we lost a cousin that worked in the WTC.

I could never forget this day, it will stay with me in much the same way as that shocking day I got sent home from high school when it was announced over the loud speakers that President Kennedy was shot. That innocent bubble of safety and peace burst in an instant, and replaced with the ever present and grim reminder that we live in a fragile and dangererous world.

As an after thought; On this same day a year later, I am doing much the same thing, as probably most everyone else. Thank you, to all those responsible, from all over the world and the USA, who toil and fight, that sacrafice so much, even their lives, to keep us safe.

Disturbance in the Matrix Zemuss's Avatar
    Threads

Awards Showcase

Local Date
    07-30-2014
    Local Time

perplexed JESH Darc, Didn't know you....

Were that close.

For those that want to vote for Sept,11 to become a nat'l holiday they are having a poll at Cnn.com regarding it.
    Go vote.
    "Z"

Threads
    Local Date
    07-30-2014
    Local Time
    I was at my mother-in-law's house - 'watching' her - using my daughter's computer. My husband called on the phone to change the channel on his mother's tv. I did , watched for 15 minutes, and then just changed the channel back to what she was watching before. Then, I got a call from my daughter from her work - she needed the phone # of one of my 'boys' - he worked in the building closest to the Pentagon, and she couldn't reach him at his home. A frantic 3 hours went by - phonecalls and emails - we finally found out that he had left the evening before to go to Montana to visit his kids and ex-wife.
    During that time, my oldest daughter called from Va. - martial law was declared (she lives in Portsmouth/Norfolk area)...her husband is an engineer at the Naval Base and there was no way she could get the girls from school - no traffic allowed (girls stuck at school until 6PM) - her husband had gone to Canada to visit his parents and they had no tv, things run on generators, etc... so he didn't know what had happened and my daughter couldn't contact him,etc.
    My mother (northern Ca.) - called and wanted to know if WW III had started cause she saw military and planes and fire from the Towers, etc. She was 82 and the start of Alzheimers had begun, and she was in WW II in Germany, so what she saw on tv was like her being in Germany all over again.
    Lonnie

BobBeezer
    Sitting on the Staten Island Ferry heading into Manhattan for work.. at around 9ish my ex girlfriend and I heard the bang and it was loud. But in my mind it was something like a gun shot or something, (because things were muffled, and you dont go thinking a plane hit a building) then we hear the screams... so we try to run out to the deck, but its too packed. I start asking what happened, and we hear that a plane struck the towers. So I'm thinking a Cesna or something, but then I see the fire (we were about 2 minutes from docking so we're right there) and it's huge, and the sky didn;'t have one cloud in it) and right then I knew this was no bullshit accident, this was terrorists. So then the captain comes downstairs and decides to turn the boat around, and so we headed back to Staten island. I watched it burn the whole way back.... I watched the people jump to their deaths... I will never forget that day so long as I live...

-BeeZ

Threads
    Local Date
    07-30-2014
    Local Time
    12:05 PM
    I was at work in my temp job in a police station idly typing in some evidence, the work was light since there was nothing much to do. The DC in the office next to me had the radio in and as i was heading towards the toilet they said there where reports of a plane having crashed into the twin towers and the pentagon. At this point half the station converged in the TV room and remained there for a few hours. We watched the replays of the 2nd aircraft hitting the 2nd Tower and saw the fire raging at the pentagon and heard about the car bomb at the state department. I remeber watching as what the reporters thought was a large explosion was in fact the dust cloud from the 2nd tower to be hit, as it collapsed. Lost for words i looked at my colluges who where just blank. Then we saw the 2nd tower fall in utter disbelief. The reporters where talking about the possible cassualties of 50,000 people and i was left thinking about the huge impact that this was going to have on the world. All the officers left the station at that point to go home relising they wouldn't get anything done for the rest of the day. This was about 3pm. I got home and was glued to Sky News for hours on end not knowing what to do.

It's odd, it still feels like a recent event yet it is a year on, ground zero is clear of debirs and now the talk is of what to build as a replacment for the WTC.

Personally i believe that you should strive to build the tallest buildings in the world as the twin towers once where. It's the american thing to do.
    SEAT Leon Cupra R, for those who believe in driving

Threads

Awards Showcase

Real Name
    Spiggy Topes
    Local Date
    07-30-2014
    Local Time
    12:05 PM
    was at home around lunchtime, doing some paperwork on the computer with the TV turned on in the corner of the room, which is odd as I don't usually have the TV on during the day.

the picture of one of the twin towers smoking caught my eye and I wandered over and turned the sound up. newscasters were speculating that it was an accident then the second plane flew into the second tower right before my eyes.

numbness. shock. the realisation it wasn't an accident. anger. rage. grief.

I had to go to work that afternoon. Bow Boys School in London's East End, under the shadow of Canary Wharf, one of London's highest buildings. There was a fault with the school's public address system, half the loudspeakers in the school didn't work. took me a while but in the end i figured out why - somebody had stolen one of the two amplifiers. yes, I remember it well.

all the teachers and many pupils were crammed into any room that had a TV set watching the news. disbelief, mainly, that seemed to be the common feeling.

i'll never forget that day.

Threads

Awards Showcase

Local Date
    07-30-2014
    Local Time
    07:05 PM
    Well, I was, and still am working over on the other side of the planet. Hong Kong and South East Asia to be exact. I was in H.K. at the time. N.Y. in the winter time is 12 behind here. I had that particular week off. I was on my pc, with my tv on, which is right next to the pc. Was watching the X-Files, when a news bulletin broke in and said there was an accident at the WTC. I didn't think too much about it as a week or so earlier, maybe a month, some guy, I think it was a French guy, was para-gliding and got himself hung up on the Statue of Liberty. So I thought it was just some type of prank or something. Then the second one hit. So terrible. Then knew, like everybody else, this was bad!!
    Needless to say, the news here covered it all night, and didn't sleep much.
    God Bless America and God Bless the World!!
    Gravity, not just a good idea, it's the law!
    My Magic

Threads

Awards Showcase

Local Date
    07-30-2014
    Local Time
    03:05 AM
    My lazy ass was in bed, just woke up, listening to morning radio. And one of the hosts said, "Oh shit, some jumbo jet just crashed into one of the WTC buildings." And I was UP, up I tell you. Turned on TV, CNN, and there is was, one of the WTC was smoking. I was like, DAMN. Uni closed that day. I believe it was a Tuesday, as I have NYC class that day. Teach was from NYC. Dude was crying on Thur 'cause two of his niece and nephew worked in the WTC. But they were ok.
    Life is an unrelenting comedy. Therein lies the tragedy of it. - Martin Stillwater
    Dude, check out my DVD Collection!

Threads
    Local Date
    07-30-2014
    Local Time
    Originally posted by Mad dog:
    It's odd, it still feels like a recent event yet it is a year on, ground zero is clear of debirs and now the talk is of what to build as a replacment for the WTC
    y, all clear of debris. w/mixed feelings i took a walk down to the site on 9/11/02 at lunch to pay my respects. the ceremony had already been concluded. i took some pics (couldn't get close due to the barriers). i would post here, if peeps would like to view the cross that was erected, but i can't link it to anything, i would just have to load it like a regular pic. There isn't much to see as i couldn't get that close, but it's a remembrance of the day. let me know. entirely up to u. thanx,
    Darcs
    oh, and Z, G-K, thanx.

Threads

Awards Showcase

Local Date
    07-30-2014
    Local Time
    Would love to see the photo DB ,we all feel the pain,and must all heal together."God Bless America"

Big bro, dobiegirl and me serlv's Avatar
    Threads

Awards Showcase

Local Date
    07-30-2014
    Local Time
    Was walking in the door at work when someone told me. Got to the nearest TV, we all stood there incredulous. This was right before the plane went into the Pentagon.

Unreal day. I'll never forget.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Crunching to Crush Cancer Somebody, Stop Me!

Threads
    Local Date
    07-30-2014
    Local Time
    i'd be happy to do so, TP, just wondering whether it'd be proper to post directly into this thread. i'll await guidance while i go thru and select a few. i'd just like to reiterate that these r not pix from 2001, but from the annual remembrance last week.

Threads
    Local Date
    07-30-2014
    Local Time

Pix: WTC Remembrance Site 9-11-02

well, i got the go ahead to post a few pix here that i took last week of the memorial site. i went there during lunch to pay my respects to all, including several of our friends, who perished there. i'm sorry i couldn't get closer, but the ever-present barriers were there as usual.

i chose to post 4 pix. this was my view upon approaching the area. i was still a block away and didn't know whether i could get any closer. it was a clear day and windy, and all the dirt was blowing around because of it. the cross is barely visible in the center:

Approaching the site:

Threads
    Local Date
    07-30-2014
    Local Time
    i was closer now, diagonally across, and this affords a better shot of the area:

Threads
    Local Date
    07-30-2014
    Local Time
    i stood there for a while, and for some reason, felt the need to capture some tall buildings around me. these bldgs were behind where the WTC stood.

Threads
    Local Date
    07-30-2014
    Local Time
    as i started the walk back towards my office, i turned around for one last look. i was struck by the sense of desolation.

rest in peace.

Threads

Awards Showcase

Local Date
    07-30-2014
    Local Time
    Thanks so much Darcy for sharing those with us,you did an excellent job . I know how hard it was that day for you,and I'm sure taking the photos brought back a lot of emotions.

Threads

Awards Showcase

Real Name
    Dean
    Local Date
    07-30-2014
    Local Time
    I was in Wooster Ohio doing a show and had been out late the night before drinking. I normally sleep with CNN on. I had set a wake up call for 8am. I was in the middle of waking with a bad hangover when my phone rang and it was my wife asking if I had teh news on. I said yeah but hadnt really yet "tuned" in. I rolled over and saw the first tower burning. at this point I was much more awake. I hung up with her and sat and watched further. (she was on break from work and couldnt talk long). At this point I watch teh second plane it live. rather bizarre and surreal.

As they begin to talk of the hijacked planes and where they were from i panicked as my mom and her husband were in Boston and due to fly back to LA sometime. (wasnt really sure when) I call brother in California to find out if mom is at home or still in Boston. He tells me that she got back the week before. "why?" is his groggy reply. (i had woke him up) I briefly explain the WTC had been hit and how.

I than call my mom to let her know. she is awake and getting ready for work. I ask her what her flight was from Boston. She said last tuesday Flight 11. "why?" I asked her if she was sitting down. She said yeah and I told her. "Oh my God" was her reply. we chatted a bit about it for a bit and than hung up.

At about this point I saw the report of the Pentagon being hit. I than called my sister who is a former Army Medic to see if she had friends their. She said a couple and I proceeded to tell her to turn the TV on and see what happened.

I was pretty much in a state of shock over it but also knew that I had to continue on with my job. I headed over to the venue and we all talk about it. The show is cancelled and so we head back to the hotel to sit around some more and talk about it.

I still can see that second plane hitting. I wasnt there but Its all to familiar and eerie.

One year later and by some very strange twist of fate I found myeself back in Wooster on the 11th and in the very same hotel room. Was a flood of memories.

On the morning of the 11th I woke to a commercial on the TV and figured that was a good sign.

TheHeretic
    What we do in Life, Echoes through eternity.

Threads
    Local Date
    07-30-2014
    Local Time
    I packed all my bags , on the 10th , as I was leaving for Europe next day. Woke up at 6 am and was making some coffee . The phone rang and it was my friend, saying..I guess you should start unpacking , you might be going nowhere . Turn your TV to the news. I turned the TV on and said..why is this stupid movie on ? where is the news. And she said..this is the news. They attacked New York. Who ? are they ? and what are you saying ? As I watched , in absolute horror, the second plane flying into a second tower. Every time I see this it's still invokes the same feeling of horror , like it did that day. The evil that man do In the name of religion All the planes were diverted to Canadian airports that day. A lot of people were left stranded , no place to go . But not for long . In few short hours they all had food to eat and bed to lay down. It made me so very proud to be Canadian . Some people will say we should try to forget and move on . That all the memorials were too much and overdone. I think it was very appropriate for a first anniversary. I watched and I cried . I think I owe it to all the people that died that day .
    I hope that all the WTC site will become a park and memorial site. For people to come and rest . And remember those who can't come anymore . God bless .
    Jane

Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk ?