Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IA's modded case pics4740 days old

Threads
    Local Date
    08-21-2014
    Local Time
    04:19 AM
    Well here is a pic of the punches I made to IA's new case. It's a Lite-on FS020. I'll post more pics as I complete some of the other mods, like the 60mm side hole blowing under the cpu socket

Dewy, Cheatum, And Howe martzweb's Avatar
    Threads
    Local Date
    08-21-2014
    Local Time
    Are those 120s? Did you punch another one in the rear also? And will you be punching one 60mm on the mobo tray under the cpu socket and a 80mm blow hole on the right side panel beneath the cpu socket?

Looking Good My homie...Looking Good!!

Stoner...yep those are 120mm punches. The rear has 2x120mm cutouts already and won't be punched...unless i change my mind

60mm fan under the CPU is planned as 0-60 mentioned. Not sure what you are talking about the 80mm on the right side panel?

I'm also cutting out an access to the NB from the rear too.

This case will be positive airflow designed..."chimeny" effect. 2x120 rears, 1x120 side, and 1x120 front all blow in and 1x120 Top and PSU exahust. This should provide the best cooling and also prevents dust from accumulating in the case!

I will post results when this baby is done...or Rando can enlighten us with the results

Hmm...

0-60, are you taking other orders to add a side blowhole to case panels? I'd like to add one to my Fong Kai 320 that IA loves so much.

IA, seriously though, that case of yours is looking good. I'm looking forward to seeing how it performs.

Threads
    Local Date
    08-21-2014
    Local Time
    You know how a lot of folks have a blow hole on the left panel above the CPU so the HSF gets fresh air? Well since you have a under the socket fan, shouldn't you also make a blow hole on the right panel for that fan? Does it sound confusing?

Originally posted by AmStoned
    You know how a lot of folks have a blow hole on the left panel above the CPU so the HSF gets fresh air? Well since you have a under the socket fan, shouldn't you also make a blow hole on the right panel for that fan? Does it sound confusing?
    Ok I see what you are getting at....yes there will be a blowhole for the 60mm fan beneath the socket!

DK...0-60's craftmanship is too fine for that FUGLY FK!!!

Threads
    Local Date
    08-21-2014
    Local Time

IA,

I did you the favor, I guess I could do the same for DK. Only fair, right? Even if it is a FK. I'll just wear gloves and close my eyes while cutting. J/K.

Let me know if you're serious .

PooliiteeCally Derisive Bastage BitBender's Avatar
    Threads

Awards Showcase

Real Name
    Philip
    Local Date
    08-20-2014
    Local Time
    11:19 PM
    Here's my almost finished Lite-On
    Case Temp 27.5
    Room Temp 27.2

Threads

Awards Showcase

Real Name
    Philip
    Local Date
    08-20-2014
    Local Time
    And here is the fan grommets, automotive vacume hose (about 50 cents a foot) cut to 1/4' lengths, slipped over the screw on either side of the fan to reduce vibration. The pic show #8 2' countersink machine screws, but they are a bit long, so I ended up using 1-1/2' #8's

Threads
    Local Date
    08-21-2014
    Local Time

Looks great Rando

Did you remove the side brace in the L-O case? I noticed your side fan seems too low to clear the bar. I didn't see much use for it, but I left mine in.

Us L-O owners might soon overtake the FK owners on this forum

Threads

Awards Showcase

Real Name
    Philip
    Local Date
    08-20-2014
    Local Time
    I took the side bar out, which is why I had reservations about punching the rear fans, so I didn't. The fan is a bit low, but I thought I might add a 92 above it later on.:p

I like I like!!!!

Damn Rando, my bro....that looks SWEET!!! Also like the mobile racks there bud

We gonna have twins pretty soon :p

And 0-60 will get side and top blowhole too once he sees our Positive Airflow Chimeny Design is RIGHT!!!! Hint...case and room temps ARE THE SAME

Threads
    Local Date
    08-21-2014
    Local Time

Rando,

How did the psu flip go? Did it come out ok?

Threads

Awards Showcase

Real Name
    Philip
    Local Date
    08-20-2014
    Local Time
    Yes it did, drilled the rivets out of one side of the psu tray, but had to twist on it a little to get it loose from the other side as there's no access to the rivets, then marked and ground out the provided psu plate for access to the plug, drilled a few holes and viola

92mm mod results:

80mm Mechatronics 53cfm, 39dBA 23-43
    92mm Panaflo H1 57cfm, 35dBA 23-42

These results were taken with MBM and the Iwill thermistor, which is known to be very inaccurate, so take the readings with a grain of salt, my nurse crapped out and I'm waiting for a replacement.

If you guys are curious what my cooling fans will be here they are:

Front: 120mm Panaflo L1A 69cfm, 30dBA

Rear: 2x120mm JMC Stealth 61cfm, 26dBA

Side: 120mm Panaflo L1A 69cfm ,30dBA

Top: 120mm JMC Stealth 61cfm, 26dBA

CPU Top: 92mm Panaflo M1A, 48cfm, 30dBA

CPU Back: 60mm Sunon, 16cfm. 27dBA

NB: Neng Tyi Chipset Cooler, No Specs

I may have to get a higher cfm Top fan since this Positive Airflow design is counting on the Top fan to exahust all the Hot Air rising. Wanted to use the Panaflo L1A here but with all of my 5 1/4" bays being used, there was clearance for the Panaflo.

Love that front bezel and button color scheme Jupes!! Well Done!

Damn, 0-60...where's my tracking #

Threads
    Local Date
    08-21-2014
    Local Time
    Sweet Jesus, look at all the 120s! Check out what the peeps at CaseETC did to their Lite-On FS020. Might as well put a aquarium into my next case!:fishbowl:

http://www.caseetc.com/cgi-bin/caseetc/liteon.html

Threads
    Local Date
    08-21-2014
    Local Time

Jupiler,

Nice job as always .

IA,

Stop making more mod requests and I'll ship your case:p. Man, talk about a custom case mod

Threads
    Local Date
    08-21-2014
    Local Time

Originally posted by Jupiler
    Thanks guys,
    026.. are you gonna paint the front bezel too?
    NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!

I know how much IA hates it, so I'll make him suffer a little

Not to mention I can't paint for sh**

0-60 is just LAZY and don't wanna help a friend out :p

Thanks for the tips there Jupes...Rando also suggested using like model paint from the hobby store as well. Looks like Im gonna get a crash course in painting in about two weeks!!

Rando is gonna do a kewl bezel mod on his...I will let him tell you so I don't steal his thunder!!

Wonder if LiteOn has extra bezels for me to screw up :spin:

Threads
    Local Date
    08-21-2014
    Local Time

Originally posted by ImaginAsian
    Lazy!!

That's it!! Forget the Dremel, I'm using the chainsaw

Sorry I haven't been around here much, but am really am interested in getting an 80mm side fan hole made for my Fong Kai. I don't know if there's a wait list for your mods or anything, or what the charge will be though. Let me know if we can work something out. Thanks a bunch! :spin:

Threads
    Local Date
    08-21-2014
    Local Time

Originally posted by Darksword
    Sorry I haven't been around here much, but am really am interested in getting an 80mm side fan hole made for my Fong Kai. I don't know if there's a wait list for your mods or anything, or what the charge will be though. Let me know if we can work something out. Thanks a bunch! :spin:
    DK, I only have a holesaw for a 120mm hole and now a 60mm hole (IA). Why not go with a 120mm. It would make life much easier and it would be quieter too .

Threads

Awards Showcase

Real Name
    Philip
    Local Date
    08-20-2014
    Local Time
    Originally posted by ImaginAsian

Thanks for the tips there Jupes...Rando also suggested using like model paint from the hobby store as well. Looks like Im gonna get a crash course in painting in about two weeks!!

Rando is gonna do a kewl bezel mod on his...I will let him tell you so I don't steal his thunder!!

Wonder if LiteOn has extra bezels for me to screw up :spin:
    I suggested model paint because there are several different cool colors to choose from, and of course, it's for plastic, and they offer primer as well. You can get the small cans of testors spray paint from any hobby shop, even wally-world sells it, just not a wide selection, but they could have what your looking for.

All I was going to do with the hideous front bezel was turn it into a large AMD case badge, and it may turn out to look like ass, but I'll just paint it over if so, but we'll see.........

A 120mm would be cool too. I was just looking for an 80mm so that I could plug it into my mobo. But either way will work for me. :toocool:

Wonder what the shipping would be from CA to FL

Ouch, didn't think about that. May just have to stick with what I have for now, then.

Threads
    Local Date
    08-21-2014
    Local Time

sweet! Im pickin up a new case next week. Anything I should go for?

Beezer

Threads
    Local Date
    08-21-2014
    Local Time

DK,

You could send me the side panel only. Shipping wouldn't be that much for just that. And, I have all my 120's hooked up to my mb. I hate all those 4-pin wires like IA has in his case :p.

Bob,

Make sure it has a rear fan (or two) to exhaust the heat out of the case. Also, 120mm fans are nice since they are very quiet but still have great airflow.

thx356
    Yet once again, IA has made me rewire my computer by showing me something cool to do. Just ordered a 120mm for a top blow-hole. Looks like it's PositiveAirflow for me

Anyone know how to get the top off of the Enlight 7237? It's rivited on... don't really want to drill out the rivits, but don't want to remove Motherboard/HD/CD Drives to cut the blow hole either.

Anyone know?

Threads
    Local Date
    08-21-2014
    Local Time

JB,

I recommend you strip your case before you cut your 120mm hole. Metal particles will go everywhere and like hiding in tiny spaces only to damage your components when they become dislodged later . As far as the rivets, if they are aluminum, just whack them off with a wood chisel and buy some self-tapping screws to replace them with.

thx356
    Of course I would never cut the whole w/ components present! What I was wondering was if anyone knows how to remove the pannel so I wouldn't HAVE to gut the machine. Looks like it's rivet cutting time then

Threads
    Local Date
    08-21-2014
    Local Time

Originally posted by JohnnyBra
    Of course I would never cut the whole w/ components present! What I was wondering was if anyone knows how to remove the pannel so I wouldn't HAVE to gut the machine. Looks like it's rivet cutting time then
    Sorry JB, I misread your post. I see what you meant now. Now go cut them rivets

Originally posted by Jupiler
    026..., IA, Rando :
    I called the distributor for Liteon cases for Europe today.
    He told the case also exists with a white bezel.
    I asked him if I could get and extra front for the case, so I can try another color.
    He told he would ask for it and call me back. Normally, he should be able to get one. I hope so, so I can try green and red.
    Crapola!!! I asked Outside Loop the very same question and they said they didn't hear any news from LiteOn about it. Guess I'll ask again.

Threads

Awards Showcase

Real Name
    Philip
    Local Date
    08-20-2014
    Local Time
    That's good news bud, maybe IA can hook us up with someone here in the states that can find some extras, thanks for letting us know btw, dig your case, looks good and everythings nice and tight

Threads

Awards Showcase

Real Name
    Philip
    Local Date
    08-20-2014
    Local Time
    Did you cut the 120mm holes in IA's case with a holesaw?
    If you did,how do you find them for this job.I read somewhere that hole saws were messy! Is this true?

Threads
    Local Date
    08-21-2014
    Local Time

Skamp,

I did use a holesaw on IA's case and my case as well. I used a Dremel to do my first mod and a holesaw is so much better. Clean cut with only a little grinding and sanding with a Dremel afterwards to smooth out the sharp edges. It took me 1-2 hours to cut a 120mm hole with a Dremel, it takes about 15 minutes with a holesaw. Also a much cleaner cut. I was using cutting discs at the time, so maybe the new rotozip adapter may work better.

BTW, I used a 114mm holesaw for the 120mm fan and a 54mm holesaw for the 60mm fan. The holesaw is a little tricky to get lined up perfectly, but it gets easier after the first time .

Threads

Awards Showcase

Real Name
    Philip
    Local Date
    08-20-2014
    Local Time
    Originally posted by 026TB4U
    maybe the new rotozip adapter may work better.
    0-60, I picked up the rotozip adapter a few nights ago from wally world for $17 and some change, haven't tried it on any fan holes, but it did work great on the hole I made to mount my nurse....

Threads
    Local Date
    08-21-2014
    Local Time

Originally posted by Rando
    0-60, I picked up the rotozip adapter a few nights ago from wally world for $17 and some change, haven't tried it on any fan holes, but it did work great on the hole I made to mount my nurse....
    I'm realy interested to see how it holds up with metal. I used about 15 cutting discs on IA's case and wonder if the rotozip bits would last longer. I like your nurse location. IA wants his above the LED but I don't think there will be enough clearance with the LED/switch housing back there.

Threads

Awards Showcase

Real Name
    Philip
    Local Date
    08-20-2014
    Local Time
    I'm a little curious to see how the bits hold up also, they claim it'll eat sheet aluminum, but I'm sure it'll cut a nice hole in thin case steel, but you'll more than likely ruin a bit doing it. Note the position of the nurse in relation to the raised bumps on the case, it's not perfectly centered from top to bottom, or side to side, but I had to position it there because the extra plastic behind the front, leftover from the molding process didn't allow it to be. From a look at the led area, like you say, there doesn't appear to be room enough for an install