Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IA's modded case pics4805 days old

Threads
    Local Date
    10-25-2014
    Local Time
    05:30 PM

Originally posted by Rando
    Note the position of the nurse in relation to the raised bumps on the case, it's not perfectly centered from top to bottom, or side to side, but I had to position it there because the extra plastic behind the front, leftover from the molding process didn't allow it to be. From a look at the led area, like you say, there doesn't appear to be room enough for an install
    I didn't notice it wasn't centered. Thanx for the heads up, I'll look at it before I cut the hole . Now tell IA it can't be done above the LEDs .

Hey why can't it be done by the LED's? From Rando's pictures, it looks to me there should be clearance?

Of course, my hardware challenged self doesn't know better...so please enlighten me :p

PooliiteeCally Derisive Bastage BitBender's Avatar
    Threads

Awards Showcase

Real Name
    Philip
    Local Date
    10-25-2014
    Local Time
    12:30 PM
    Just had the front cover off again, and the problem is not lack of space to cut the hole, it's that the white LED box that snaps to the inside front takes up all the room behind where the hole would be

Threads
    Local Date
    10-25-2014
    Local Time

Originally posted by Rando
    Just had the front cover off again, and the problem is not lack of space to cut the hole, it's that the white LED box that snaps to the inside front takes up all the room behind where the hole would be
    LOL......Rando, I just did the same thing. It looks like there is plenty of room like you said, but like I told IA , the LED/switch box is gonna be a problem. I'll take a look at it once I get the nurse he's sending me to install. Here's a pic of the hd cage mod I did with the hanging rear hd cage that was removed. Might as well put it to good use. Another innovative design by 026TB4U. IOW, I copied the Lian-Li case .

Threads

Awards Showcase

Real Name
    Philip
    Local Date
    10-25-2014
    Local Time
    Very nice! Lots of 120 air moving over the drive(s). btw, my first nurse that crapped out was Enermax brand, so I decided to pick up the compunurse brand this time, they are IDENTICAL, same exact unit, just a different name, and the compunurse is a buck more

Threads
    Local Date
    10-25-2014
    Local Time

Rando,

I mounted my Radio Shack digital thermometer outdoor sensor directly above the 92mm hsf with the LO push pins. The digital thermometer I'm using is model 63-1024:

It's + or - 1 degree form 0* to 40* celsius, so pretty accurate. Running UD with my stock fan configuration, I get the following temp readings:

Room temp 26.7* C
    Case temp 28.1* C

So it looks like negative pressure doesn't work as well as your positive pressure setup .

Oh well. I would still like to see your case with some different fan intake/exhaust combinations just to see which fans truly make a difference. That would make for some interesting reading.

I also tried covering the side intake grates with tape to force only air from the front. This increased temps so I guess the LO uses air from the sides as well. I figured that with the stock setup.

I might try to flip the psu with the fan in the up position. Maybe it will redirect the flow somehow, but I truly doubt it since the psu flip did lower my cpu temps a few degrees. Hey, what the hey, I'll try it. I have an extra non-modded psu reducer plate, so I can .

I'll keep you guys posted.

C-ya

Originally posted by 026TB4U

So it looks like negative pressure doesn't work as well as your positive pressure setup .

Oh well. I would still like to see your case with some different fan intake/exhaust combinations just to see which fans truly make a difference. That would make for some interesting reading.
    LOL...and you never believed us

Well, once I get my case I will do a full writeup with the case design vs. fan effectiveness for us all. So with Rando's information, this hopefully can provide valuable information to you all to decide what you may want to do! Of course, I think I should try and finish my HSF review which is still 50% done :p

Another benefit to positive airflow is the dust accumulation is less then a negative airflow design.

Threads

Awards Showcase

Real Name
    Philip
    Local Date
    10-25-2014
    Local Time
    Man, that's a nice shackometer guy!! Your only +1.4c with what you have, I wouldn't discount that at all, there are still many things you can do with that case to get your temps where you might want them to be I'll go ahead and try a different fan config to see what happens and I'll post soon

Threads
    Local Date
    10-25-2014
    Local Time
    Rando, 0-60, Jupiler

Nice work, you guys have some talent, wish I had that kind of energy.

IA

You know I don't know a hella lot about cooling, so don't cream me but:

If I understand your setup, you plan to have all the air coming in from front and back and then up and out thru the blow hole. So wouldn't that create a turbulence inside the case as the air flow collides from front and back?

Here Comes Trouble...
    Threads

Awards Showcase

Local Date
    10-25-2014
    Local Time
    Originally posted by Dramen
    You know I don't know a hella lot about cooling, so don't cream me but:

If I understand your setup, you plan to have all the air coming in from front and back and then up and out thru the blow hole. So wouldn't that create a turbulence inside the case as the air flow collides from front and back?
    Heck bro...I don't know that much either about cooling :p

But to answer your excellent question, that would be true if the fans are on the same plane, however if you take a look at the fan positions on the LiteOn and the Side and Top Blowholes I asked 0-60 to position, you may see that they lie on different planes. The front fan is the lowest level which rushes cold air in to cool the PCI/AGP cards and eventually the heat rises up. The two rear fans bring cold air into cool the upper portion of the mobo including the critical socket CPU area and the airflow pushes the hot air from left to right. The side blowhole brings cold air further in for spot cooling on the socket, the NB, and the 3-phase MOSFETs. All the hot air should get pushed UP towards the upper portion of the case where the top blowhole will suck out the warm air. Of course this is all in theory and I won't be able to tell you for sure until I get my case.

But Rando has tried the same config, as you may have seen above, and he has gotten great results with it! The case temps matching ambient temps is a good indicator that perhaps it is working the way I explained above?

To also pull out hot air which may not make it to the top, I have two slot fans which will exit out of the PCI slots. I also have a 60mm fan on the backside of the mobo to cool the socket from the rear...there is a lot of skepticism that this is merely cooling the thermistor but I will report back the findings to all with a CompuNurse sitting on my CPU Core. At the very least, it also serves to exit hot air out if I so choose to reverse its airflow.

Hope that helps!

Threads
    Local Date
    10-25-2014
    Local Time
    I rechecked the pics from 06-0 and I see what you mean. I get the sense that the top fan, may be critical, in that, if it's too weak or too strong the air flow may not go quite as expected. Interesting. Anyway, thx for the explanation and good luck with it.

Threads

Awards Showcase

Local Date
    10-25-2014
    Local Time
    09:30 AM
    0-60,

Can't help notice you still have the pre-press case fan guard on the back exhaust. What's up with that? Thought you were going to make two 120s? Or are you just getting to it.

Here Comes Trouble...
    Threads

Awards Showcase

Local Date
    10-25-2014
    Local Time
    Originally posted by Dramen
    I rechecked the pics from 06-0 and I see what you mean. I get the sense that the top fan, may be critical, in that, if it's too weak or too strong the air flow may not go quite as expected. Interesting. Anyway, thx for the explanation and good luck with it.
    YES!!! You are absolutely correct...the top fan should be of suitable cfm to exahust all the hot air at a rate which is entering its zone, or else the top area of the case will be saturated with hot air and potentially back flow a bit toward the lower areas.

See...you do know a lot about cooling

Here Comes Trouble...
    Threads

Awards Showcase

Local Date
    10-25-2014
    Local Time
    Hey gang check out these pics of my finished case that O-60 modded....I think he did a great job!!!

Here's the Front Pics:

Here Comes Trouble...
    Threads

Awards Showcase

Local Date
    10-25-2014
    Local Time
    Here's the Side Pics:

Here Comes Trouble...
    Threads

Awards Showcase

Local Date
    10-25-2014
    Local Time
    Here's the Inside Pics:

Threads
    Local Date
    10-25-2014
    Local Time
    11:30 AM
    0-60, dig that socket fan and bottom drive cage IA's gonna be camping out in the front yard waiting on the drop

Threads

Awards Showcase

Local Date
    10-25-2014
    Local Time
    09:30 AM
    Nice job man. Which I have (5) 120s working my system instead of 80s.

IA: How about a pic from behind? I want to see how the 120s' spacing.

Here Comes Trouble...
    Threads

Awards Showcase

Local Date
    10-25-2014
    Local Time
    Thanks Jupes for Posting...didn't see Stone's reqeuest until now! Here's how mine looks...the cutout wasn't punched so it looks "factory"...my bro 0-60 didn't wanna punch the back

Jupes...no fan grommets for you??

Here Comes Trouble...
    Threads

Awards Showcase

Local Date
    10-25-2014
    Local Time
    YEAH BABY!!!!

I just got my case today from 0-60 and I have to say the damn thing is HELLA SCHWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Totally awesome job he did and I don't think it could have been done any more professional. Good things always come to those who wait :

That front bezel is ass though

I'll be slapping this puppy together soon and report back to you guys on my findings about the Chimeny Airflow theory and taking temps with combinations of fans to let you know where the contribution is coming from! Also will post some pics once things are all hokie dorie...got my 4 rounded single cables from Nerdsbyte so IA is ready to rock! 92mm Swiftech Mod, 60mm Socket Cooling, Rounded Cables, 5x120mm fans, CompuNurse mod, Zalman NB mod...

DROOL

Thanks again bro!!

Threads
    Local Date
    10-25-2014
    Local Time
    0-60 great job, cutouts look milled. Case looks very clean. nice work.:clap:

IA looks great, you gotta good friend there. I'll be looking forward to your results on postive airflow.

Threads

Awards Showcase

Real Name
    Zammy
    Local Date
    10-25-2014
    Local Time
    01:30 PM
    Looks like a work of art 0-60, c'mon IA, it's been 2 days now, if you can't get it together, I'll pay for shipping to my place!

Here Comes Trouble...
    Threads

Awards Showcase

Local Date
    10-25-2014
    Local Time
    Hehehehe...sorry folks...I finally got around to Installing the Baby...and lemme just say...

POSITIVE AIRFLOW IS THE SHEEZNIT!!!

Damn I love this case...except for that Front Bezel

Took me over 2+ hours to install this baby just right, lots of room to work in too. It took me 30 minutes to figure out how to remove the front bezel even with 0-60's help...yes IA is hardware challenged!!! All fans humming along like a kitten, no joke...my case is very quiet...no whining, just a low white noise from the air being moved in there.

Let's see...Im sitting here at 1.53GHz and my Nurse reads 47C after 2 hours of heavy UD action...that's an improvement of 8C over my previous case with 2x120mm fans

Case temps is about 26C right now and the ambient temp is about 25-26C...do I need to say more And with winter coming, I think it's gonna be even better!!

I will have more results later as I test all the fan configurations to tell you which fans are making the difference. One thing to keep in mind, is with Postive Airflow your dust level is tremendously reduced if you do it right!

0-60...go do a Top Blowhole and join the Dark Side!!! Thanks again bro..Love the Mods...It was well worth the wait!

Threads

Awards Showcase

Local Date
    10-26-2014
    Local Time
    03:30 AM
    Good to hear it worked out for ya mate