I'm trying to resolve a few errors that are occurring on a Windows ME machine I'm trying to repair:
1. "Explorer has caused an error in KERNEL32.DLL"
- This happens whenever you double-click on a Desktop shortcut icon, e.g., My Computer, Recycle Bin, etc. OR especially if you right-click on one of those shortcuts and choose anything in the context menu, e.g., "Properties" or "Explore". When the error pops up I click OK and it pops up again on which I click OK. Then whatever function was clicked on, e.g. "Explore" it works just fine thereafter. Explorer does not crash nor close.
2. "The initialization of the Help Center failed.
Please report the following error number to Microsoft support: 2147467261."
- Obviously, this occurs when trying to open "Help" from the Start Menu or trying to access "System Information" from various links.
3. The CD ROM draw will not open either. I checked the BIOS and everything looks fine there. Thinking that the drive was bad, I physically disconnected it, rebooted but still got the #1 and #2 errors. So it doesn't appear that the CD drive is causing these errors.
I've searched for resolutions on these problems on Google until I was simply exhausted without success.
Specs and fixes tried:
Windows ME (all critical and security updates)
128 megs RAM
Complete system scan with Spybot S&D
All trash, temp files, etc., cleaned out
Symantec AV Corp 8 scan was clean
Disk Clean run
Disk defrag done
Dust bunnies removed from inside the case