Thread: VMwareTools Extracting Problem - Slackware Guest2599 days old

Threads
    Local Date
    11-01-2014
    Local Time
    01:46 PM

VMwareTools Extracting Problem - Slackware Guest

I installed Slack as a guest in VMware Workstation 6.0.0, loaded the Linux.iso, which has the VMware tools and tried to extract the xxx.tar.gz file using tar -xzvg filename.tar.gz, to install the tools. It ran through a bunch of stuff and then got to a point where it spat at me the following:

tar: Skipping to next header

gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--format violated
    tar: Child returned status 1
    tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

I then thought the original workstation file I downloaded could be corrupt so I downloaded the 6.0.1 version, but still the same problem.

Am I using that tar command incorrectly or doing something else wrong?

Threads

Awards Showcase

Real Name
    Hugh Jorgen
    Local Date
    10-31-2014
    Local Time
    11:46 PM
    Yeah, wrong switches

tar xzf filename.tar.gz -C /wherever/you/want

The v switch is just verbose... you don't need to see that crap unless you really want to, but you do need -f to specify that you're working with a file (not stdin/stdout)

The g switch is something different, for a different type of incremental archive.

Threads
    Local Date
    11-01-2014
    Local Time

Oops...the -g was a typo, it was in fact an -f.

Right, tried your suggestion and this is the output:

tar xzf VMwareTools-6.0.1-55017.tar.gz -C /tmp/vmtools

gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--crc error

Then I tried the other file and got this:

tar xzf VMwareTools-6.0.0-45731.tar.gz -C /tmp/vmtools
    tar: Skipping to next header

gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--format violated

mmm...I will post this at the vmware forums, just wanted to first be sure it's not me that has stuffed up again!

Threads

Awards Showcase

Real Name
    Hugh Jorgen
    Local Date
    10-31-2014
    Local Time
    Just copy the .tar.gz file from the fake CD mount to a directory (e.g. your home dir) and extract it. I highly doubt it's corrupted.

Threads
    Local Date
    11-01-2014
    Local Time

I thought I would give it a go here in Fedora7 installed in vmware. On the left you can see the iso loaded on the desktop and I opened it in the top window VMware Tools. I then copied it to toolstmp (the bottom window) right clicked and said extract here. The result was the error message.

Here is the Command Line Output:

Last edited by sagecss; 09-19-2007 at 05:50 PM.

Threads

Awards Showcase

Real Name
    Hugh Jorgen
    Local Date
    10-31-2014
    Local Time
    I just tested that and it worked perfectly. Mind you, I did edit fstab and changed "owner" to "user" in the fstab line for the CD drive to allow users to mount the cdrom drive. (It even displayed the mount in konqueror for me when prompted for action)

I simply went to VM menu in vmware workstation and chose Install Vmware tools, then went to /mnt/cdrom and untarred the file.

I didn't actually install them though, as I hate vmware tools and I don't let it pollute my guest OSes. The only benefit to me is, being able to copy and paste from the guest, but I work around that by just pasting to a text file and then transfering it to the host.

Installing vmware tools more often than not fucks up the X configuration, attempts to load drivers that I don't want (e.g. it tries to load the OSS driver instead of ALSA for my sound card, fucks with my modprobe.conf file, and the vmnet module instead of pcnet)

I'm sure if you copy the tarball from the mounted ISO to your home dir and extract it, whatever glitch preventing you from extracting will be non existent.

Threads

Awards Showcase

Real Name
    Hugh Jorgen
    Local Date
    10-31-2014
    Local Time
    You evidently have bigger problems then if it's not working for you even after copying it. It must be getting corrupted in memory or something.

Threads
    Local Date
    11-01-2014
    Local Time

Grogan, thanks for your replies, as always I appreciate it.

Stuff it though, I am not in the mood right now to struggle with this. It was just something I wanted to test and couldn't understand this problem and as you rightly say, it should simply extract. I've done it before without any problems.

You have a good one .

Quick Edit: While I'm thinking about it, I did install WinXP as a vm and had no problems installing the vmtools there.
    Last edited by sagecss; 09-19-2007 at 06:10 PM.

Threads

Awards Showcase

Real Name
    Hugh Jorgen
    Local Date
    10-31-2014
    Local Time
    A bit different in Windows XP, different archive type (Windows Installer MSI within the installation executable probably). I obviously can't explain why it's not working for the tarball.

Say, how about taking that silly ISO loop mount right out of the equation? Just copy the vmware tools tarball from the host system (e.g. transfer it over the network... if host or guest is running sshd it's quite convenient to use sftp to transfer the file between them)

On the host system you'll find the iso as (wherever you installed it)/vmware/lib/vmware/isoimages/linux.iso

loop mount it:

modprobe loop
    mount -t iso9660 -o ro,loop=/dev/loop0 linux.iso /mnt/cdrom

Copy the vmware tools tarball out of that on your host system. Test extract it on the host system. Did it work? If so, transfer the tar.gz to the guest and try again there.

Threads
    Local Date
    11-01-2014
    Local Time

Alright, this has been bugging me all day and I just couldn't leave it alone. Grogan I did as you suggested but I am afraid I got the same errors.

Somewhere something is wrong and I am now a little concerned about it.

What have I done and tried up to now:
    1. I initially downloaded vmware 6.0.0.x, was able to extract it to /tmp and install it from there without any problems whatsoever.
    2. I installed winxp in a virtual machine, installed vmtools, no problem.
    3. Installed Slackware in a vm, as this is where I would rather be messing around with things and not my main system. Here I tried to install vmwtools and started getting these errors.
    4. Installed Fedora7 in a vm, tried the same and also got errors.
    5. I tried what Grogan suggested and still got errors.
    6. I downloaded vm workstation 6.0.1.x and then couldn't even extract that .gz file .
    7. Wait a minute, what's going on here, where is the original 6.0.0.x.gz download...tried to extract that again and same problem...mmm...something's fishy.
    8. Ok, downloaded 6.0.1.x.gz again, tried to extract it, same problem.
    9. Copied this download to a winxp machine, tried to extract it there and got errors!
    10. From the windows machine downloaded it again, checked md5sum to confirm all in tact, extracted it without any errors .
    My concern now, is data corruption and I need to determine if this is the case and if so more importantly how to prevent this?

My HDD setup is as follows:
    • 2 x HDD SATA connected to SATA 1 & 2
    • HDD 1 is partitioned into multiple partitions where, slackware, swap and some spare partitions reside.
    • HDD 2 is pretty much my data drive and was setup during installation as /mnt/data and boots everytime the pc starts.
    • Both drives are ext3.
    Is data corruption a possibility here?

Threads

Awards Showcase

Real Name
    Hugh Jorgen
    Local Date
    10-31-2014
    Local Time
    Yes, data corruption is a possibility but I'd be more suspicious of network and/or RAM. It's probably not corrupting it on disk, unless there's bad sectors or something. (look for i/o errors in the logs)

Network. Investigate this first. Did you verify the md5sum within Linux after downloading? Let's see if you're corrupting downloads. (Note that it may not corrupt every download). Download it again from Linux. If it passes the md5sum try to extract it. If you are corrupting downloads, it still could be RAM. Packet checksums would have to match, but if RAM is bad files will get corrupted.

RAM... are you mixing and matching DIMMs? I had funky stuff happening on my fileserver PC when I added a hodge podge of dimms (all should have worked together). It showed 512 no problem and I didn't think I had any trouble. But large network transfers (e.g. 300 meg files) were getting corrupted intermittently. A couple of runs of memtest86 (I think I ran it for 70 minutes or so) did not show any problems. I had two 128 meg dimms that were both the same, so I just settled for those and the problem was solved.

If you're going to run a memory tester, you'd best run it for a long time and do all the tests. Let it loop through those overnight. (so you'll want to try the other angles first lol)

You might also want to try the old kernel on the host (the hugesmp stock kernel you had) but bear in mind that it might not happen every time. So don't just try it once and think that's it.

Also note... try with your present kernel downloading and extracting some tarballs WITHOUT any of the vmware horseshit loaded. Modules in kernel space can step on resources needed by other drivers. They are in kernel mode playing god. If you've had the vmware modules loaded in a session, reboot without them.

Threads

Awards Showcase

Real Name
    Hugh Jorgen
    Local Date
    10-31-2014
    Local Time
    Well isn't this just bloody great... I just upgraded vmware to the latest version 6.0.1 (from 6.0.0) and my Windows XP VM's product activation blew up on me because "the hardware has significantly changed". I wanted to upgrade vmware, so I don't have to hack and patch to get 6.0.0 to work with my kernels.

I despise Microsoft and I'm getting sick of this vmware horseshit too. They used a newer compiler for this release, and because of the C++ interface that vmui uses, it can no longer use my own GTK+ (C!) for the user interface, falling back to "Shipped GTK". This means it won't use my "shiny glass" style. I'm sick of this bloatware kludgy crap. I use GTK+ for *everything*... my XFCE4 desktop and virtually ALL my apps and it's just sick to have a second copy of the libraries in memory to run stupid vmware.

I don't want to activate Windows XP in Vmware... because then it won't activate again on real hardware. Once activation has triggered, it doesn't go back to normal without activating either. I've got that damned annoying "Windows Genuine Advantage" notification in my face too, because "Windows is not activated".

Threads
    Local Date
    11-01-2014
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Grogan
    Well isn't this just bloody great... I just upgraded vmware to the latest version 6.0.1 (from 6.0.0) and my Windows XP VM's product activation blew up on me because "the hardware has significantly changed". I wanted to upgrade vmware, so I don't have to hack and patch to get 6.0.0 to work with my kernels.
    I feel your frustration regarding windows...it was that whole product activation crap and then the release of VISTA and frankly everything about them that drove me to Linux...and may I add that I am thankful for having done so and for the direction received here to persevere and push through with this endeavor . Yep, M$$$ and the word despise nicely sums up my feelings as well.

...and I'm getting sick of this vmware horseshit too... I'm sick of this bloatware kludgy crap. I use GTK+ for *everything*... my XFCE4 desktop and virtually ALL my apps and it's just sick to have a second copy of the libraries in memory to run stupid vmware.
    Yep I've been pondering for a few weeks now about the very same thing, I think we touched on the point in another thread too recently. I quite enjoyed VirtualBox when I was testing Fedora6, but again they don't support Slackware and my frustration level is pretty high atm. I guess though that I will have to invest the time to see if I can get it setup up properly on Slackware with all its tools etc.... I am in anycase only giving vmware a trial again and will have to make up my mind soon anyway. Also I certainly don't use it to the extent that you do. I only need a vm with xp for work and to be able to mess around with other OS's and to learn. You also mentioned Qemu last time...I haven't got around to looking at that yet.

Threads
    Local Date
    11-01-2014
    Local Time

Regarding the data corruption points mentioned above...

I will run a memtest tonight and let it plod along till the morning.
    Yes all four my DIMM's are the same.
    I have tried with the smp kernel and had the same, but only tried this once.

I actually already did a fresh install of Slackware with the stock kernel on another partition, downloaded vmware again from that install and had the same thing.
    I quickly checked the md5sum on the last 6.0.1.x.tar.gz download I did on my slackbox and noted that it was not correct!!! I must add that this is the first time this has happened to me and only with these vmware workstation downloads.

I also downloaded vmserver and that extracted with no problems whatsoever.

Anyway, I'm aware of it now and will simply keep my eye on it till the ugly rears it's head and take it from there again.

Just to say, I extracted the tools from the xp machine, put them on a usb and copied them into my slackware vm and was able to get the tools installed.

I will keep you posted on the data corruption thingy...