Well since I have a dual boot and the beta is for experimentation, I decided to give the defrag a whirl. First I defragged the Win7 beta volumn. A new way of defragging, it defrags first then compacts or compiles, and takes a few passes. Went fairly smoothly and quick. Not a lot of junk to clutter up the drive.
Next on to my XP SP3 drive that was visable with the defrag utility, but not in my computer. Only ther partition on that drive is visable. Living dangerously, I went and let Win7 defrag it too. Booted to it and have been running most of the day with no problems.
One thing seems to be working fine so far that is backward compatible.
On to more adventures to see what I can crash with this old rig.