Threads

Awards Showcase

Real Name
    Mick
    Local Date
    07-26-2014
    Local Time
    04:14 AM
    If I had the money I'd put a 120GB SSD in my main unit for the main system drive and use the mech one as bulk storage for mah junk. Worth the money, I think, but I have to get it first.
    Power is something that should be given to those who need it to serve and withheld from those who seek it to rule.

Oop J'hordie... Beela! DonkeyOaty's Avatar
    Threads

Awards Showcase

Local Date
    07-25-2014
    Local Time
    07:14 PM
    Catch 22 at the moment - We all want SSD and bigger Capacity SSD but few of us are willing to shell out and create the demand that will ultimately help lower the production cost and bring them to an affordable level. At that point where SSDs become cost effective you wouldnt want to be a company making JUST mechanical drives...
    It's a fine line between Networking and Notworking...
    "If you can make a girl smile you can make her do anything" - Marilyn Monroe.

Threads

Awards Showcase

Real Name
    Dave
    Local Date
    07-25-2014
    Local Time
    01:14 PM
    Hey guys, Im putting together a new rig, and an SSD is on the list. Im thinking the corsair GT 120Gb is the best option, seems to have solid performance for around $200.
    So what would be the best way to install? I could put OS and lots of apps, or use the 60Gb Intel filecaching plus a few commonly used apps.

Threads

Awards Showcase

Real Name
    Zammy
    Local Date
    07-25-2014
    Local Time
    02:14 PM
    IMHO, since you're going with a 120 gb, put the OS, apps, and some other stuff on there.

Threads

Awards Showcase

Real Name
    Dave
    Local Date
    07-25-2014
    Local Time
    I installed win7x64 on my WD black 1Tb drive without activating it. After a few days it was already about 80 gigs and I havent installed any office/photoshop or other big apps. It would seem like 120Gb would be the minimum unless I wanted to just use the SSD as a file cache. From what I have been reading, the closer they get to full capacity, the slower they get.
    So today I went out and picked up an OCZ Vertex 3 120Gb, as it was about $30 cheaper than the corsair GT, should be about the same performance as both use synchronous memory. I was also considering a slower Intel SSD, it would have saved me another $40 (at less than $1/Gb) and still given decent real world performance, but the guy at the store took too long finding it. LOL
    Now Im gonna reinstall windows on the SSD and use the WD hard drive for data. Im hoping to have some room left on the SSD for a few choice games. Just gotta figure out how to change the default install directory for steam.

Threads

Awards Showcase

Real Name
    Hugh Jorgen
    Local Date
    07-25-2014
    Local Time
    02:14 PM
    You can't change the install directory for Steam games. The only thing you can do is move Steam.

I do it somewhat like this:
    https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...7418-YUBN-8129

1) Turn off that account protection before moving Steam. (Save yourself some trouble). You can re-enable it again after. I'm talking about the one that causes you to require email confirmation when you log in to your steam account from another PC. That's fine and dandy as long as email is expedient. Coincidently, it wasn't so when it happened to me.

2) Go to your Steam directory, and delete everything except SteamApps and Steam.exe

3) Move the Steam directory to the new location

4) Launch the Steam.exe from the new location

5) It will download the rest of itself and any updates, and reinstate itself in the new location.

6) If any games don't work, verify their integrity and they will fix themselves after that process.

I only have one game that doesn't work after moving Steam. Mafia II. After verifying the integrity, it does a bit of a post install thing and fixes itself.

You probably cannot move Steam because there isn't enough room on your SSD. Oh well, it's highly overrated anyway.

They score well on benchmarks, especially random seek kinds of tests. Great for working with a lot of small files. For games though, those big archives full of textures that all need to be rendered need to be processed anyway and you will save very little time. Once data is cached in RAM it wouldn't matter if you have a 15 year old clunking quantum bigfoot drive, anyway. It still takes time to load game levels even when the hard disk isn't being accessed at all. SSD drives certainly aren't faster than system memory.

So it won't make that much difference for loading games.

The Stealth Mod
    Threads

Awards Showcase

Real Name
    Steve
    Blog Entries
    Local Date
    07-25-2014
    Local Time
    11:14 AM
    I had Win7 on my gaming machine installed to an 80GB Intel SSD. I only use that machine for gaming and a handful of movie editing apps. My Steam games were all on a separate mechanical drive. Despite that, it still ran short on space on the SSD. And being a 24/7 machine I really didn't notice a whole heck of a lot of difference in performance over a mechanical drive installation. I cloned the SSD to a partition on a mechanical drive, and the only real difference I noticed was having plenty of space avail. Boot time was faster of course with the SSD, but this machine is up most of the time. My Linux machine has been running on an SSD for some time - it's worked out a lot better there, I have my home partition on a mechanical drive and space on the SSD hasn't been an issue. This one is also a 24/7 machine, and I can't say I notice a lot of difference in speed here either, vers when it was all on a mech drive. Only place I've been overly impressed by an SSD over a mech drive so far has been on my netbook

Threads

Awards Showcase

Real Name
    Dave
    Local Date
    07-25-2014
    Local Time
    Yeah I guess with 8gigs of ram swapping game files from ram to disk isnt really an issue anymore.
    I really just want to get rid of the occasional stuttering in games and apps when the hard disk starts grinding away doing crap in the background. Hopefully putting windows on ssd will stop that.

Threads

Awards Showcase

Real Name
    Mick
    Local Date
    07-26-2014
    Local Time
    04:14 AM
    It appears people have been thinking about the "serious bottleneck" of SATA II (and III ... apparently) controllers so the lads at OCZ have released a little something that should help. Rather than put up with dreadfully slow 6Gb/s SATA interface, these guys have release a new system that's good for 2-4GB/s. That's not a typo, it's two to four gigaBYTES per second of bandwidth to EACH SSD (you can put four of these in RAID 0 with the available adapter card) ... and this is only the second generation of the technology.
    http://www.ocztechnology.com/hsdl
    Here's a review of the tech on Anandtech: http://www.anandtech.com/show/3949/o...ace-reviewed/1