Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Linux Mint 12 Release Candidate - I'm Not Sure This Will Be My Next OS....991 days old

The Stealth Mod
    Threads

Awards Showcase

Real Name
    Steve
    Blog Entries
    Local Date
    07-31-2014
    Local Time
    02:36 PM

KDE under Mint seems robust enough so far, I've only been running it in a VM, but no issues yet.

Threads
    Real Name
    Michael Horatio
    Local Date
    07-31-2014
    Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Haircut View Post
    I rushed through the install and partitioned the free space with Kubuntu's partitioner and in the process let it download all updates on the fly during the installation, it gave a choice of to or not, I remember thinking at the time whether or not I'd pay for it. I'll give it a week and see how it behaves if it doesn't iron out, it can go the way of every other Kubuntu I've ever installed.
    thanks Greg,
    I stopped using Firefox most of the time quite a while ago on my distros as it was messing with text display on some of my Gnome themes.. Most annoying shit......I just got used to using Chromium and I'm OK with it now.
    When I installed this Kubuntu, I left the option to download the updates unchecked. I usually like to get it up and running out of the box for while to make sure it's stable before I start those big monster update packs.
    This one was fine out of the box, but started misbehaving after the updates. But, like I said it seems to be fine now.
    On the weekend I'll put assault cube and a few games like that on here and let my two little nephews have at it for the afternoon to see if the little buggers can break it before I invest more time in it. I hope it works out, I like the look of it. But I'm not really that optimistic.
    Last edited by Michael_Horatio; 12-08-2011 at 01:33 AM.
    Look to thy airspeed, lest the Earth should rise up and smite thee..

Threads
    Real Name
    Michael Horatio
    Local Date
    07-31-2014
    Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by ZemaTalon View Post
    KDE under Mint seems robust enough so far, I've only been running it in a VM, but no issues yet.
    Good sign Zema.. when you gonna give it its own spot on a drive?

Threads
    Real Name
    'kin neigh
    Local Date
    07-31-2014
    Local Time
    10:36 PM
    I've got it down to two stable bugs 1) on close out to reboot 2) 30 second cursor freeze after reboot at login splash (have to wait, cursor frozen before it frees up and I can sign in). Which suggested X and GPU driver problem. But having installed, and tried, native default / fglrx from package manager / and now on ati-driver-installer-11-11-x86.x86_64.run, from them, and all work without problem, and I still get the 30 second cursor login freeze after reboot (but not when I just plain logout, interestingly), I sahll have to look further afield.

Threads
    Real Name
    'kin neigh
    Local Date
    07-31-2014
    Local Time
    Mint's another that hasn't got the staff to do KDE justice at the moment, if they can get the staff and settle on a base for KDE then I'm sure they'll do a great job.

Threads

Awards Showcase

Real Name
    Hugh Jorgen
    Local Date
    07-31-2014
    Local Time
    05:36 PM
    The funny thing is, if they'd just leave the shit alone, it doesn't need any justice. (See Slackware for just supplying software as the developers intended)

Threads

Awards Showcase

Real Name
    Mick
    Local Date
    08-01-2014
    Local Time
    07:36 AM
    The only time I'ven had to reinstall packages has been when I've done/wanted to do something that I possibly shouldn't, like adding 32bit libs to Slack64 for crunching duties. That upset a couple of things in odd ways but it was my fault for playing with things.
    Power is something that should be given to those who need it to serve and withheld from those who seek it to rule.

Threads
    Real Name
    'kin neigh
    Local Date
    07-31-2014
    Local Time
    It's a decent lesson Slackware serves up, if you don't have the manpower to execute your spin of KDE, get it right and tested properly and out the door - or more fundamentally in Canonicals case, aren't willing to deploy the extra resources, then the KISS approach is the right approach. What annoys me most is that Kubuntu isn't a million miles off and with a little extra resources could be the top notch desktop experience from an end user point of view who wants the moon on a stick.....yesterday

openSUSE is the only one that treats KDE as it's primary DE as far as I see and even they could learn a trick from Kubuntu in end user polish.

Threads
    Real Name
    'kin neigh
    Local Date
    07-31-2014
    Local Time
    KDE kicks 'Windows' very own arse to hell and back..

With Lancelot menu set to hover over..

Lancelot pop out sub menu..

KDE shelf used as quick launch for places ..

KDE shelf used as quick launch to favourites..

All hover over. You get the gist

Threads
    Real Name
    'kin neigh
    Local Date
    07-31-2014
    Local Time
    And Firefox with KDE integration package plus KDE Oxygen 3.6 theme (with all it's setting)..

Threads
    Real Name
    Michael Horatio
    Local Date
    07-31-2014
    Local Time
    Looks very good BH, very clean.
    I've played a bit today with it mainly just running everything at it (including my nephews) for a few hours to see if anything breaks. It's still standing and seems to have settled down. I still get the odd Plasma bork if I try to do things like add panels, but nothing serious. My Canon IP4300 printer was found easily and works fine.
    I like the Oxygen look as well. I have the panel set to hide and hover over to bring up. K3B works fine for any kind of CD/DVD burning (no surprise) some of the games I've tried have been a bit buggy (no surprise there either) Libre Office is solid, opens any kind of Word docs perfectly. I'll just keep it for a while; it hasn't annoyed me at all yet.

http://www.mikeserv.org/gallery/Hora...s/kde.png.html

Threads
    Real Name
    'kin neigh
    Local Date
    07-31-2014
    Local Time
    I see you've already got a nice, useful Unity. LOL.

I'm like you I'm just beginning to play around with it, I can't see how you can fail to get a highly functional, personalised, good looking desktop with this if you play around with it. It's just a question of the base you put it on. So I'm hammering this kubuntu till it breaks properly, as it's not right and i probably should never have got the updates on the fly. Then when i've got everything i need out of it and I'm sure i can get the programs I want across, or found substitutes, I'll go and replicate it on openSUSE and stick with that for a while, I know it's a stable platform. The KDE forums are useful, btw.

Threads

Awards Showcase

Real Name
    Hugh Jorgen
    Local Date
    07-31-2014
    Local Time
    That's looking pretty good, with the frosted translucent panel etc. I'm one for the tradition of a big auto hiding panel on the bottom though. (just because that's where my mind expects it to be)

Threads
    Real Name
    Michael Horatio
    Local Date
    07-31-2014
    Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by Grogan View Post
    That's looking pretty good, with the frosted translucent panel etc. I'm one for the tradition of a big auto hiding panel on the bottom though. (just because that's where my mind expects it to be)
    Yep, I tried it for a while on the sides, but just too used to it being on the bottom. Besides it tends to get in the way on the sides I find although you can configure things to cover it up. Have had some time to play today and actually quite getting to like this KDE. Actually started moving some shit over here.
    I have got the Mint 12 downoaded and am going to give that a fair try before I write off geenome 3.
    I got feeling christmassy ...yuck have changed the picture already...

http://www.mikeserv.org/gallery/Hora...kde04.png.html

Threads
    Real Name
    'kin neigh
    Local Date
    07-31-2014
    Local Time
    Did you check the memory usage for Kubuntu, MH?

Threads
    Real Name
    Michael Horatio
    Local Date
    07-31-2014
    Local Time
    Did you check the memory usage for Kubuntu, MH?
    yes, I've looked at it quite a few times BH. You referring to those complaints about memory leaks with kde 4 on the forums?
    It does use up a chunk of memory with all the desktop effects running, but I haven't had any problems with memory leaks.
    I've checked it after a clean boot and then left it for 12 hours and checked again and there is nothing to speak of.
    It's hard to know for sure if the memory usage reported is accurately what is being used - depending on what program you are looking at, the way the system shares resources, shared libraries etc.
    it's hard to really know- for me anyway.

Seems like no matter what I do ie: 5 or six web pages open, movie playing, maybe a disc burning - never uses more than about 20 % of my six gigs.

horatio@kubuntu-875k:~$ free -m
    total used free shared buffers cached
    5978 1898 4080 0 84 1035
    -/+ buffers/cache: 778 5200
    Swap: 952 0 952

http://www.mikeserv.org/gallery/Hora...geViewsIndex=1

http://www.mikeserv.org/gallery/Hora...geViewsIndex=1

How does that compare with your setup?

Threads
    Real Name
    Michael Horatio
    Local Date
    07-31-2014
    Local Time
    "Seems like no matter what I do ie: 5 or six web pages open, movie playing, maybe a disc burning - never uses more than about 20 % of my six gigs."

Sorry, I meant one third of my 6 gigs...

Threads
    Real Name
    'kin neigh
    Local Date
    07-31-2014
    Local Time
    Thanks. Good to know. I'm not that far off what you're seeing, just had two weird memory leak type brain fart spikes that logging out / in cured. It's the first time I've noticed anything like that. Start up at the desktop is around 700MiB, which considering what it's loaded up, what with it not being fluxbox, ain't too shabby.

Threads

Awards Showcase

Real Name
    Hugh Jorgen
    Local Date
    07-31-2014
    Local Time
    Wow... Mint has gone a step further. They actually created their own fork of Gnome Shell

http://www.webupd8.org/2011/12/cinna...th-gnome2.html

This is the true power of Free Software. When the overseers of a project have lost their way, anyone can Fork them in the ass.

The Stealth Mod
    Threads

Awards Showcase

Real Name
    Steve
    Blog Entries
    Local Date
    07-31-2014
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Grogan View Post
    Wow... Mint has gone a step further. They actually created their own fork of Gnome

http://www.webupd8.org/2011/12/cinna...th-gnome2.html

This is the true power of Free Software. When the overseers of a project have lost their way, anyone can Fork them in the ass.
    That's pretty cool, I'm sure glad to see it after all the dismal stuff coming out lately, OS-wise

Threads
    Real Name
    'kin neigh
    Local Date
    07-31-2014
    Local Time
    That's going to develop quite nicely.

Threads

Awards Showcase

Real Name
    Zammy
    Local Date
    07-31-2014
    Local Time
    That looks pretty good, actually usable unlike the extremely fugly G3.

Threads
    Real Name
    Michael Horatio
    Local Date
    07-31-2014
    Local Time
    Thanks. Good to know. I'm not that far off what you're seeing, just had two weird memory leak type brain fart spikes that logging out / in cured. It's the first time I've noticed anything like that. Start up at the desktop is around 700MiB, which considering what it's loaded up, what with it not being fluxbox, ain't too shabby.
    yes, mine boots up to the full desktop between 690 and 700 mb. The only problems I've had so far have been two or three instances where the sound just disappears. I thought it was a pulseaudio thing but I think it is something to do with my codecs. Pulseaudio process is always still running when that happens. Like I say, it has only happened about 3 times and comes back with a logoff login..I'm using this every day and still it's looking good to me and working fine.

[QUOTE][/Wow... Mint has gone a step further. They actually created their own fork of Gnome Shell QUOTE]

thanks Grogan...will keep watching that.

Threads
    Real Name
    'kin neigh
    Local Date
    07-31-2014
    Local Time
    I had that once where KMix decided to swap the master channel for playback devices from Internal Audio Analogue Stereo to Juniper HDMI Audio, setting seems to stayed put since a reset tho. I'm still using it there are just two annoying bugs I can't shake off.

And those Kubuntu 'Low Fat Settings' work great too if you're looking to drop memory usage and increase performance still further. I like it on the whole, just not impressed with Canonnical's lack of interest in the project.
    Last edited by Bad Haircut; 12-23-2011 at 01:21 AM.

Threads

Awards Showcase

Real Name
    Zammy
    Local Date
    07-31-2014
    Local Time
    I finally got fed up trying to fix Fedora 16 after every other update, I knew the distro tried to keep up with the latest but 3 different kernels within a week and the corresponding mucking with video drivers, nvclock no longer works and I need that to keep my card cool.

Anyhow, I now have Mint 12 running with the Cinnamon DT, I've also mucked around in Mate and it's not too bad for me considering I've never liked Gnome at all, always been a KDE guy because of the eye candy. We'll have to see how stable this is with some updates and such but so far it's running fast.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The Stealth Mod
    Threads

Awards Showcase

Real Name
    Steve
    Blog Entries
    Local Date
    07-31-2014
    Local Time

Looks good Zammy!

Threads
    Real Name
    'kin neigh
    Local Date
    07-31-2014
    Local Time
    Did you try Mint KDE, Zammy?
    Last edited by Bad Haircut; 04-29-2012 at 06:20 AM.

Threads

Awards Showcase

Real Name
    Zammy
    Local Date
    07-31-2014
    Local Time
    Not yet BH, so far this editon of Mint runs extremly good on my hardware, nvclock still doesn't work though but I got Coolbits enabled and have control of the fan once again. so far I haven't borked anything up yet but give me some time, LOL.

Threads

Awards Showcase

Real Name
    Spiggy Topes
    Local Date
    07-31-2014
    Local Time
    I've been using Mint 12 KDE for a while now and by and large I like it. It is not though, imo, as straightforward to use as previous versions and I'm having a bit of a job finding my way around some areas.

I could not for the life of me get the monitor to stay active all the time, it kept shutting down after a period of inactivity despite me supposedly disabling that function in the energy settings. Then I decided to update KDE and after looking at the Mint forums used these settings to do so:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

It took about 30 minutes to change but I now have latest version of KDE. And would you believe it, monitor doesn't shut down now, which is how I like it.

I'm also having a problem changing my desktop image, strange to say, right-clicking on desktop gives me no options to do so and browsing all of 'System Settings' I could not find a way to do it. I did manage to find one option where it could be changed but only offered the images in the Wallpaper folder, which I found in root/usr/shared/wallpapers So I thought I'd put the image(s) I want to use into the wallpapers folder but I can't. Every time I try the 'Paste' option is grayed out when I right click. So that's kinda baffling me.

With the computer I have Mint 12 KDE installed on I have an Epson Perfection 4490 Photo scanner attached, which works fine in Win XP on same machine. I'd like to use this scanner within Linux Mint and I saw Epson actually provided Linux drivers. There are a lot of them, I have downloaded them all, there are rpm and deb files I think. I have not a clue how to go about installing these but there is a pdf file which gives instructions for installation. Quite impressed with Epson for providing these but I don't know if I'll be capable of installing them.

I shall browse the pdf file (46 pages worth) and give it a go anyhow.

I have the Nvidia drivers installed and some extra software such as Scribus, all working well, and overall, as I said, I quite like it. My Epson P50 printer was recognised straight away and works well. I will say though that compared to earlier Mint versions this one takes longer to boot and shut down, though that is not a biggie for me at all.

If anybody has any ideas how I can change desktop image I'd be glad to hear.

The Stealth Mod
    Threads

Awards Showcase

Real Name
    Steve
    Blog Entries
    Local Date
    07-31-2014
    Local Time

Hey Tony, click on the New Activity link on your desktop, then Desktop Settings. That'll bring up the wallpaper options. From there, besides the default ones, you can also download new ones from the online archives, or select an alternate folder. Try putting the ones you want to use in a folder in your home folder then you can select them from there. You could also put them in root/usr/shared/wallpapers if you want, but you need to do it with Root privileges (hence why the paste option was grayed out). I just keep mine in an images folder in my home folder to make things easier, plus it simplifies things when I move to another distro version

Threads
    Real Name
    'kin neigh
    Local Date
    07-31-2014
    Local Time
    I've got a floating wallpapers folder I made too.

Threads

Awards Showcase

Real Name
    Spiggy Topes
    Local Date
    07-31-2014
    Local Time
    Brief late night reply out of politeness, not detailed.

I cannot find a 'New Activity' link on desktop.

Did, however, find a way to add pics to wallpaper folder. Right click desktop, open the link to desktop thingies (sorry, don't have detail, it's late) at bottom of list of images, there is a floppy disk icon that says 'Enter'. That's the one, click that and you can add pix to wallpaper folder. Ya know, new user interface not always a good thing, in the past with various distros never ever had a problem with something so simple as changing wallpaper pix. Ok, Mint 12 KDE doesn't have Unity but they've still fucked about with givens. Not good, imo

As for the scanner, have isolated the three 64 Bit drivers and apparently double clicking them should make scanner work. We shall see, fingers crossed

The Stealth Mod
    Threads

Awards Showcase

Real Name
    Steve
    Blog Entries
    Local Date
    07-31-2014
    Local Time

TBH, I'm still using Mint 11 with Gnome 2 on my main system for that reason - I've held off because of things being at bit uncertain for me right now with my job and mortgage etc making me reluctant to switch to a radically different GUI right now. I'm in the middle of writing and sending out resumes, filling out pdf applications etc and I'm afraid I wouldn't be very efficient trying to get all that done in much less familiar KDE. But it really just comes down to getting used to different ways of doing things I think. Unity and Windows 8 on the other hand, way too frucked up to include in that

Threads

Awards Showcase

Real Name
    Hugh Jorgen
    Local Date
    07-31-2014
    Local Time
    If you cannot right click in the desktop and find a menu entry to change the desktop settings/wallpaper, then the UI designers are simply assholes. I completely agree with your whinging this time

Threads
    Real Name
    'kin neigh
    Local Date
    07-31-2014
    Local Time
    KDE you just right click on the desktop and hit "Desktop Settings" and it should open at "View" and all the default wallpapers that the distro put there.

The right click menu is, from the top down: Run Command / Activities / Unlock Widgets / Lock Screen / Leave / Desktop Settings
    Last edited by Bad Haircut; 05-10-2012 at 12:10 AM.

Threads
    Real Name
    'kin neigh
    Local Date
    07-31-2014
    Local Time
    That model printer scanner is listed as 'working perfectly' at the Mint community forums, says you get the driver from avasys. Is that the one you got?

Threads

Awards Showcase

Real Name
    Hugh Jorgen
    Local Date
    07-31-2014
    Local Time
    Yeah, but those kinds of distros may use a different window manager with KDE. Too clever to just leave the defaults as the software is meant to be used.

I haven't tried "Mint 12 KDE" or whatever it is. I know it'll just annoy (I am stubbornly set in my ways... I don't LIKE trying different shit anymore, I like MY shit), so why bother.

Threads

Awards Showcase

Real Name
    Spiggy Topes
    Local Date
    07-31-2014
    Local Time
    KDE you just right click on the desktop and hit "Desktop Settings" and it should open at "View" and all the default wallpapers that the distro put there.

The right click menu is, from the top down: Run Command / Activities / Unlock Widgets / Lock Screen / Leave / Desktop Settings
    Oh no it's not, not in Mint 12 anyway, I'll come back with a list but basically at the bottom of the list that pops up from a right click is 'Folder View Settings'. Open that and at the bottom of the group of wallpaper pics is an icon which when you click it allows you to browse to a pic anywhere in the OS and add it to the wallpaper folder. So far, as far as I can work out, you can't link a desktop pic to any other location other than the wallpaper folder in usr/share.

The scanner drivers are available at both avasys and Epson, I will try them today at some stage.

Threads
    Real Name
    'kin neigh
    Local Date
    07-31-2014
    Local Time
    Well that's pretty much the default layout for KDE so Mint obviously they have different ideas, like Grogan said. When you do get to browse files in a different location, you should be able to go to the 'wallpaper' folder you created (say on desktop) with the stuff you like in and double click the appropriate png / jpeg. You should see the image thumbnail appear next to all the other default ones. You just select it and that's your new wallpaper background. ....that's what it should do.

You can do it properly as ZT said, by following the same format as the default ones in usr/share/wallpaper as root. But I only like my own really, so can't be arsed doing it and mixing them.

It's all right for Grogan, he's an old hand and knows what works for him, the rest of us have to fanny about till we find what we like and works for us. ... I must admit when you do settle on something and you click with it , I can't see much point of changing. Maybe look at other stuff in virtualbox, although I haven't even done that since installing Chakra and I've got VB, used it once to test I think.

The Stealth Mod
    Threads

Awards Showcase

Real Name
    Steve
    Blog Entries
    Local Date
    07-31-2014
    Local Time

I just checked the machine I have Mint 12 KDE running on, and it has Desktop Settings at the bottom of the menu when I right click the desktop. Are you using the release version Flopps?