Awards Showcase

Real Name
    Zammy
    Local Date
    11-26-2014
    Local Time
    07:30 AM

LVM questions

I really don't know if this is good or bad but I'm fairly sure when I installed Fedora that I told it to serve it up on ext3 or 4. After I made some space in order to expand the X partition, this is what gparted is showing. I did a little reading about LVM but now I think I'm more confused than ever about it. Could someone clue me in as to how to accomplish this.

-dev-sdb - GParted_003.png

Threads

Awards Showcase

Real Name
    Mick
    Local Date
    11-26-2014
    Local Time
    11:30 PM
    Just create another partition inside the logical one and you're good to go. Logical volumes allow you to get around the limited number of physical partitions you can have in a given partition table. There's probably other reasons to do it, but that's what comes to mind. If you want it to take up all that unused space then extend the logical partition before you add any more. It won't hurt anything if you don't, it'll just require more messing about resizing if you do it later is all. I tend to use all physical partitions, personally, but then I don't normally have more than three total on a disk anyway.
    Power is something that should be given to those who need it to serve and withheld from those who seek it to rule.

Threads

Awards Showcase

Real Name
    Hugh Jorgen
    Local Date
    11-26-2014
    Local Time
    I'm afraid you're trying to use the wrong tool. Gparted doesn't actually support LVM2. It's aware of it, in a detect and read sense (It knows just enough about it to leave it alone), but it can't operate on it. You certainly cannot resize the lvm2 pv using Gparted. I wondered why your screenshot wasn't showing any details about what's in the volume group (your filesystems), so I went and found some information. Read it and weep. (look at the chart)

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/features.php

The partitioning tools during the Fedora install would have to. (Is there a Fedora LiveCD of any kind that you could boot with?)

There would probably be command line utilities that will resize the "pv", but it will require a bit of research (I don't use LVM or LVM2... only normal partitions. If installing a distro I will take manual control of the partitioning to ensure that doesn't happen)

Threads

Awards Showcase

Real Name
    Zammy
    Local Date
    11-26-2014
    Local Time

Thanks guys, I also see in that table you linked to Grogan that parted won't work. Off to do some more reading, lol.

Threads

Awards Showcase

Real Name
    Hugh Jorgen
    Local Date
    11-26-2014
    Local Time
    Another thing you could do is just create another primary partition on that space... it would be /dev/sdb4. Then, you could mount /home off on that or something.

For resizing the lvm2 pv, there is the pvresize command, but it looks to me like it requires you to have already resized the physical partition. I have not used this command though

This is the man page for it:
    http://linux.die.net/man/8/pvresize

Threads

Awards Showcase

Real Name
    Zammy
    Local Date
    11-26-2014
    Local Time

I finally got this sorted using this guide from redhat, just posting the link in case someone needs a read or I forget how I did it, lol.

Red Hat Article about LVM

Thanks for everyone that chimed in, I was going for 70 gigs total on / and came close. I learned my lesson Grogan, the next time I need a fresh install it will be manual partitioning for sure and no LVM's. I now have plenty of room for messing with VBox and can keep more than 1 snapshot of Mint and Win8 in my home folder.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Threads

Awards Showcase

Real Name
    Hugh Jorgen
    Local Date
    11-26-2014
    Local Time
    Heheh, duh... of course, you are using Fedora and they would have to give you tools to manage that. It looks like they did a nice job with the system-config-lvm graphical front end.