Threads
    Real Name
    Michael Horatio
    Local Date
    04-19-2014
    Local Time
    12:38 AM

vbox network config question.

I have a little xp box sitting in a corner that I have a filezilla server installed on for transferring files around my lan and out to friends that I have set up accounts for.
    It runs perfectly and has never given me any problems.

I haven't looked too far into this but I cannot connect to the server from Linux mint 12 running in Virtual box 4.1.10 on my Windows 7 machine.
    anyone know how to set up the network adapter in VB to allow connections to the ftp server on the lan?
    I have it set to default (NAT) right now.
    Maybe (Bridged mode) or do I have to have to forward ports within the VB settings?

any help appreciated..
    Look to thy airspeed, lest the Earth should rise up and smite thee..

Threads

Awards Showcase

Real Name
    Mick
    Local Date
    04-19-2014
    Local Time
    05:38 PM
    Make sure it's actually in the same ip range. I had mine running in bridged mode but it was picking up it's ip form the dhcp server in my router which uses a different ip range than the rest of my network (makes it harder for the kids' friends from getting at my shares etc if they come over with their iPhones etc). Setting it manually to the same subnet fixed the problem.
    Power is something that should be given to those who need it to serve and withheld from those who seek it to rule.

Threads

Awards Showcase

Real Name
    Hugh Jorgen
    Local Date
    04-19-2014
    Local Time
    03:38 AM
    Use bridged networking... NAT is lame-o

A bridged VM behaves just like a normal PC on your network. It gets DHCP from your router etc. You will be able to connect to the file server on your network if you do that.

(It can of course also be configured statically, like a normal PC and if you wanted to run a server of some sort on it, you could enable port forwarding in your router for the VM's IP address. You can also DMZ it)

Praetorian Poster Michael_Horatio's Avatar
    Threads
    Real Name
    Michael Horatio
    Local Date
    04-19-2014
    Local Time
    12:38 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Grogan View Post
    Use bridged networking... NAT is lame-o

A bridged VM behaves just like a normal PC on your network. It gets DHCP from your router etc. You will be able to connect to the file server on your network if you do that.
    Very nice Grogan..that's what it was. I had a feeling that might be what the problem was, but never looked too deep into it. But it is very handy to have the server accesible from the VM. I'll keep the rest in mind if I try running a server from it later. It's only lately that I've gotten really interested in running distros from VBox. This latest version is really nice.

DA,
    I know what you mean, but I don't have anyone around here logging on to my wifi who would be curious enough to start snooping around at my shares. everything is getting addresses in the same range from the DHCP server in the router....thanks