Thread: dllhost.exe TOTAL Resource HOG! Help! Daughter's laptop Running Windows 7312 days old

Threads
    Local Date
    11-01-2014
    Local Time
    08:06 AM

dllhost.exe TOTAL Resource HOG! Help! Daughter's laptop Running Windows 7

Hi everyone. Long time no talk.

Okay, I don't know what all info you might need about my daughter's computer, but it's an HP Pavilion G series laptop computer running Windows 7.

For the past week it has been running slower and slower. Today, she couldn't even get her music to play without it sounding like it's skipping or her computer freezing altogether. She pulled up Task Manager and found that the Physical Memory usage was 97% and dllhost.exe was at the top of the list with 2,000,000+ and climbing.

She did a search on her computer for dllhost.exe to make sure that there was only one listed in her files and only found one. Her virus scan is up to date and has found nothing.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

I personally am sick of Windoze and want to go back to LINUX!!!!!!!!!!! I'm just not sure how to to do that on my laptop. lol And I'm a coward! lol

Thank you.
    Misty

Threads

Awards Showcase

Real Name
    Michael Langdon
    Local Date
    11-01-2014
    Local Time
    07:06 AM
    Try this link - it may be the answer you seek:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...3-04199095ca01

Threads
    Local Date
    11-01-2014
    Local Time

Thank you. I had read through that before, and it didn't seem very helpful until I read through some of the comments. Wasn't sure about downloading something new to try to fix it without hearing it from someone who knows WAY more than me. lol She is downloading http://www.free-codecs.com/Media_Preview_download.htm to see if it fixes her problem too. I hope it works.

Threads
    Local Date
    11-01-2014
    Local Time

On a whim, I decided to look through her computer because someone commented that they actually found wow.ini and wow.exe located in %usersProfile%\AppData\Local\Temp and I wanted to just check. When I went to her user name on her computer, there was no AppData... when I went to public, there was no AppData. BUT there was another user name (Wangzhisong) on her computer that neither of us recognized and it was just created 12/13/2013 (about the time the trouble started I think). Opened that users profile, and there was AppData....in that folder there was Local and inside there was Mobogenie. Inside Mobogenie is Download. Inside Download is APK, Music, Picture, and Video. All of which are empty.....?????????? Why is there no AppData in HER user account and why is there this strange username in her computer that holds the AppData? I'm SO CONFUSED!!! We are both running Windoze 7 and mine appears to be normal.

Threads

Awards Showcase

Real Name
    Mick
    Local Date
    11-02-2014
    Local Time
    12:06 AM
    Someone got into that system and created another user account.

My suggestion is to save off all her documents etc and do a full system restore. God only knows how deep they've dug in.
    Power is something that should be given to those who need it to serve and withheld from those who seek it to rule.

Threads
    Local Date
    11-01-2014
    Local Time

Update... She decided to do a search on her computer for %usersProfile%\AppData\ and her computer found it, but it's not visible if you go to her username and click the drop down arrow to show the files in her username. I'm confused about that because mine is visible without having to search.

She's having a fit, because she has SO MANY pix and stuff on her computer. I'm not sure how anyone could get into her computer, we have firewalls and a secure connection... I'm sure it's possible....I just don't know how.

Threads

Awards Showcase

Real Name
    Mick
    Local Date
    11-02-2014
    Local Time
    12:06 AM
    As to "how", accepting a remote support connection or letting someone you don't really know use the system can be enough. These days you can get stung by simply visiting a compromised web site.

Get everything copied off the computer onto external storage before things get any worse.

Threads
    Local Date
    11-01-2014
    Local Time

Thank you. I'll get her busy on it. She said something about her boyfriend on her computer and is going to ask him, but I don't know that he has the computer knowledge to set up his own user account... I could be wrong though.

So far, after downloading that file from the link above, the dllhost.exe file has not been being a resource hog, so hopefully that fixed that.

Thank you again.

Threads

Awards Showcase

Real Name
    Hugh Jorgen
    Local Date
    11-01-2014
    Local Time
    09:06 AM
    Delete the user account, run some malware scans (there was some crap running out of temp). It probably isn't necessary to wipe and reload. The dllhost thumbnail preview problem is common, and not the result of any tomfoolery. In Windows XP I used to unregister shmedia.dll, which disabled those previews (but not image or other previews). Not so simple in Windows 7. Hopefully handing that off to something else solves the problem for you, but what I do in Windows 7 when that happens is disable the "Media Foundation Property Handler" shell extensions using a program called ShExView from Nirsoft. http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

Here's a screenshot of it, in case you have to do it. This is from Windows 8.1 (in a virtual machine... I don't actually run that shit) where there are a few more of them for more video file types, but you'll find them starting with MF (for Media Foundation) in Windows 7 as well.

shexview.jpg

It's not hard to create a user account in Windows. It's just User Accounts in Control Panel (which is where you'll go to delete it too). I think you'll find that this all makes sense (any malware may be unrelated). Also note, daughters (and people in general) don't always tell you everything when they've screwed up a computer